- Park Hilaria in August, Eindhoven
- Helsinki, Vappu Festival
- Nice devices: Notebook grill, air multiplier ...
- Nice advertisements: Knorr Dürüm, Financial times world ...
- Christmas Box from TU/e (tr=Bayram Sepeti)
- Rotterdam Centraal in the near future
Tips on Istanbul
1. Check your travel guide first. I am sure it is obvious that Istanbul is not a city to visit 2-3 days. Try to make your visit at least 4 days to visit the museums, mosques, palaces and also enjoy the city life.
2. Try the hostels close to Sultan Ahmet (The Blue) Mosque. This is the heart of the old city and tram connections make it easy to reach any point worth visiting.
3. Try to avoid using public transportation until 9 a.m. in the morning and between 5-8 p.m. in the evening. Istanbul is a populated city, and the public transportation is always busy. It is some times not possible to get in to bus or tram during rush hours. It is better to walk during these hours to avoid traffic jam.
3a. Unfortunately public transportation help on web is not good enough yet to help you. Try to understand the route before leaving your hostel. Otherwise you need to ask people and always double check the given information.
4. Try nargila/shisha at Tophane (next to the Tophane tram stop). These are quite expensive (7.5 euros). Generally this place is crowded and too much pop music. I do recommend you to take a sofa where you can see the mosque if you will go to this cliche place for nargila.
***Best places and best nargila is under Halic Bridge "Dersaadet" for mornings and "10" for nights. "Çorlulu Ali Paşa Medresesi" (very close to Beyazid tram stop) is the most peaceful and authentic among all. Try when the weather is nice.
5. Istanbul is a dangerous city but not more than London or Rome. Just keep your valuables next to you.
6. People will try to help you but foreign languages are rarely spoken fluently. If you are lost try asking for help with your map. This will make it easy for both sides.
7. Best thing you can do is to buy an Akbil (electronic ticket) for 15 euros. You can load cash to this tiny device. You will not need to care about stupid coins etc. anymore. Moreover this device provides a 50% discount on transfers in an hour.
8. Food is cheap mostly. Just make sure that you are adjusted to the taste before ordering any further. Do not get sick eating chilly or fat rich food :)
9. Do not leave Istanbul before trying deserts. Best is to order a desert if you liked the food. Try deserts based on milk. Turkish kitchen is rich of such deserts. These are lighter with respect to baklava, and you cannot find these in any other country. "Ozsut" is a well known and well spread chain where you can try most of the deserts.
10. Take a boat trip from Eminonu pier to travel from south to the north of the Bosphorus. Have a fish and drink raki at the final destination. Walk to the castle ruins to see Black sea and Bosphorus at the same time.
11. Do you want to see a non-touristic location? Take a boat from European side to Kadikoy. Walk to the tram and visit cafes at Moda coast. You will have peaceful time drinking tea and have time to observe more common Turkish living.
12. You can have a walk from Moda up to Bostanci from coast. This is a huge park that continues for kilometers. You will see Moda Marina, Fenerbahce stadium (all people on Asian side supports them), Kalamis Park and many nice villas.
13. Do not forget to enjoy a breakfast near Rumeli Hisari (North gates of the Bosphorus at western coast).
Some Hints for Eindhoven & Netherlands:
- Trains are vital for transportation and it is better you also check the connections of your journey. http://www.ns.nl/
- 1st Sunday of each month is the shopping Sunday and the shops are open.
Why you shall not buy an iPhone?
1- I cannot download any data from my PC. No pdf or doc file can be transferred. I have to e-mail it to my self to be able to preview on my phoene.
2- If I really want to load some files I shall connect my iPhone to my PC via wireless network. (Then you have to use an application like Discover(free) or purchase a more complicated one)
3- You want to use bluetooth for sure???Even the application does not exist yet, so you need to wait for it. I am sure you will need to pay for it.
4- You cannot basicly select a melody from your library ‘cause you have to download it from iTunes! However there is a trick you can follow on www.theappleblog.com
5- Battery ends up at most in 3 days if you go to flight mode at night and do not use wi-fi. 3G is alway operating. In time it will surely decrease.
6- Changing battery is euros 70!!!! So when the battery life is over it is better to get a new phone.
7- Why did I get an iPhone? Easy answer: good contract from T-Mobile. I will sell it for sure as the contract ends.
8- Camera mode may stuck the OS. (added on 12.01.2009)
9- Multiple pause/play operations from headset controller may cause the OS to stuck and screen to go black. In the both cases 8 and 9 best is to reset the phone by holding Home and power buttons about ten seconds. Idiot machine! Needs too much testing before released to market.
10- Why it is not possible to save google maps and use it offline? Do I have to buy an application and more over pay extra for data roaming when I am abroad?